
Illegal TV streaming. Credit: cottonbro studio, Pexels.
Users of ‘dodgy boxes’ could face penalties and legal action.
Up to 400,000 people in Ireland using illegal streaming devices, known as ‘dodgy boxes’, have been warned they could face serious consequences, including possible legal action, as Sky Ireland ramps up its fight against piracy.
The warning comes as Sky and other broadcasters are due to appear in the High Court following the issuing of an injunction and search order against a suspected dodgy-box operator in Wexford. The case relates to the illegal streaming of popular services like Sky, Premier Sports, GAA+, LOITV, and Clubber, accessed through resellers by thousands of users nationwide.
“This action marks an important step in our ongoing efforts to combat illegal streaming in Ireland,” said Sky Ireland CEO JD Buckley, as quoted by The Herald.
Two others involved in the Wexford-based operation have already been hit with cease-and-desist letters by FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft), warning them to stop “illicit streaming activities” or risk criminal prosecution.
A spokesperson for Sky confirmed it is considering “various options”, including engagement with Ireland’s Data Protection Commissioner, to go after not just operators but also viewers.
While An Garda Síochána does not typically go after individual users, they have been known to support broader enforcement against commercial sellers.
Illegal TV streaming
According to a Sunday Independent poll by Ireland Thinks, 1 in 5 Irish residents admit to using dodgy boxes or illegal streaming sites. Many services are accessed via Amazon Fire Sticks or Android boxes, with users paying as little as €5 to €15 per month for access to premium content.
But the risks go beyond copyright infringement. JD Buckley warned that illegal streaming also exposes users to malware, fraud, and identity theft, adding:
“Further action will follow with consequences for those identified as operating illegal services and for those who watch them.”
A Sapir Research survey from earlier this year found that more than 40 per cent of users recommend dodgy boxes to family and friends, despite knowing the potential risks.
Broadcasters say Irish sports are under threat
This crackdown isn’t just about money, it’s also about protecting the future of Irish sport, say broadcasters and rights holders.
Jimmy Doyle, CEO of Clubber (which streams local GAA matches from 14 counties), says piracy is devastating:
“Dodgy boxes are taking up to 40pc of our revenue away… they are putting this entire eco-system at risk,” he told The Herald. He added that Clubber hopes to expand its coverage to include more female sports, but illegal streaming is making that impossible.
Mickey O’Rourke, head of Premier Sports, echoed the concern:
“Illegal streaming undermines the sustainability of sports broadcasting, directly impacting the investment going into Irish sport, from grassroots to elite level.”
GAA+ chief Noel Quinn said the issue hits at the very core of the sport:
“The GAA reinvests 82 cents of every euro generated directly into schools, clubs, counties and provinces.”
Is the illegal stream worth the risk?
Last year, a Kildare man was jailed for 16 months after earning €900,000 from his illegal service, King Kong Media, which sold codes to 5,000 customers.
With more court cases likely to follow, viewers may now be wondering whether that cheap streaming deal is worth the risk.
Should users be punished as harshly as providers? And how can the industry make legal access more affordable? We all want to be able to watch good TV, but not if it costs us an arm and a leg. Let us know what you think.
View all Irish news.